Sunday, March 22, 2015

Girl Scout of Central Maryland Sleepover - Skin Deep Beauty


I was delighted when Girl Scout Troop Leader, Ms. JoAnn invited me to Troop #139 and #1459’s sleepover at St. Matthew’s Church in Middle River, Maryland.  The girls would have an opportunity to learn about skin deep beauty, watch Disney's Princess Mulan movie, and were excited to have what they call "a real live princess" come and speak to them.   ​Snow had fallen earlier that day on what was the first day of Spring, so everyone was nervous that the event might be cancelled.  But the snow eventually turned to rain and the sleepover was on.


Upon arrival at the venue, I was greeted by the troop leaders and 24 of the cutest little Daisy and Brownie Girl Scouts.  I presented them with pictures of "Disney's" Princess Mulan to color.  Each of the girls had an opportunity to try on my crown and have pictures taken of them.  ​As the evening went on, I spoke to the girls about skin deep beauty and the following:
​​

Embraced being different: 
None of my friends participated in pageantry, but I found it was something that I enjoyed.  It allowed me to meet new ​friends, gain confidence and public speaking​ skills which has helped me to obtain every job I have ever applied​ to.  I dared to be different than my friends in a positive light and earned their respect and moderation.​  I learned more about myself by thinking outside of the box.  Being different is a GIFT!​

Be Courageous:
Be bold to face your fears and refuse to let them stop you from achieving your dreams.

Be open-minded: 
Just as Disney's ​Princess Mulan; each and every person is unique and beautiful in his or her own way.  Allow yourselves to be open minded about people, music, culture and ways of living.  If you judge someone or something before being thoughtful and opening your heart, you may completely misjudge the true self of someone.

Don’t be afraid to DREAM:
You live in a world where you can make your dreams a reality.
​With focus, passion, dedication and heart.  No matter what you want to do or who you want to become, make sure it is for yourself.
Work hard at your dreams, because nothing worth having comes easy!​

​Each time I am in the presence of Girl Scouts I remember my own scouting experience; first, as a Daisy then bridging over to Brownie.  And having my mother as the troop leader made it extra special.  My experience is one of the most memorable times of my life.  Our trip to Walt Disney World after selling mountains of Girl Scout cookies, the numerous badges we earned (we went everywhere and did everything.)  So being among Girl Scouts takes me back to a time of fun-filled days and dreams of one day being a princess.





"Helping those who give back, pay back!"
Keia Brown, Miss District of Columbia International 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment