Sunday, July 26, 2015

HigherEdNotDebt Partnership

I have had an amazing journey promoting my platform to reduce student loan debt and implement financial literacy in schools across the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia.  While attending Generation Progress' Make Progress Summit 2015, I was approached by the Campaign Manager, Ms. Maggie Thompson to discuss establishing a partnership with Higher Ed, Not Debt. After meeting with some of her staff and discussing ways to incorporate my knowledge and interest in the need to reduce student loan debt, I have partnered with the organization to be a spokesperson, speaker and partner.


To give you a little bit of background, Higher Ed, Not Debt is an organization, part of Generation Progress, which is a multi-year campaign dedicated to tackling the nation's $1.2 trillion student loan crisis.  They offer resources for college students and graduates with repayment options, refinancing of student loans, loan servicer disputes and leading campaigns which encourage all to write to congress about this devastating issue. 


This past week, I participated in my first Higher Ed, Not Debt Team Conference Call to discuss Connecticut's Bill of Rights implementation, NASFAA's observance on Corinthian students and other for profit colleges.  As a spokesperson for this organization, I will work with other fellow partners to speak to students at colleges and universities on the challenges of repaying student loan debt.  I will encourage them to get involved and write to their local House Representatives to make reducing student loan debt and the cost of college a national priority.

Paying it forward,

Keia Brown
Miss District of Columbia International 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment